I freaking did it.
I figured out a way to eat tempeh that ACTUALLY tastes good.
When I went on, as my hubby likes to refer to it, my "crazy vegan streak" a few years ago, I tried tempeh for the first time. I had heard it was a great source of protein and I was struggling to find a way to get all my protein in so I figured, why the hell not, I'll try it.
And I was like ummmmm this shit tastes like JANK AF.
Not only does it look weird (I think it kind of looks like brains, to be honest), but it has a texture that I had just never dealt with before. But, being determined as I was, I scarfed it down and suffered in silence.
Have you tried tempeh before?
For years, I tried recipe after recipe to like it. I was freaking DETERMINED.
I knew the health benefits of it, and while I stopped being vegan a long time ago, I aim to have as many vegetarian options in my diet as I can. *Cue, Amanda experimenting in the kitchen*
Now, I'll be honest. I'm no chef. My hubby's got the cooking skills in the family. BUT I've been eating whole foods long enough to know that if they don't taste good, I won't eat them. So I've made it my mission to create and find recipes for myself that are quick, easy, healthy AND delicious.
And you guys, not to toot my own horn, but I think this one might take the cake.
If you've been on the tempeh struggle bus for a long time -- try this.
If you've never tried tempeh before but are looking for an affordable protein option -- try this.
If you just love good, quick and easy food -- try it.
I hope it blows your mind as much as it did mine!
MAPLE TEMPEH BOWL
Serves 2, Cook time: 20 minutes
1 package of Tempeh (I used Light Life original)
1/8 cup of maple syrup
1 1/2 tbsp tamari
1/8 cup of balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tsp olive oil
2 cups sautéed veggies (I used yellow squash and broccoli!)
- Remove tempeh from package and chop into small 1 inch pieces.
- In a small bowl combine maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, tamari, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and minced garlic. Add tempeh into a shallow dish and pour maple balsamic marinade over the tempeh, toss to coat and let tempeh marinade in the fridge for 1 - 24 hours.
- Once tempeh is marinated, pan-glaze the tempeh by heating 1 tsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add the tempeh and cook until golden brown on each side, allowing 4-5 minutes per side. Toss the tempeh a couple times during this process.
- In separate pan, sautee veggies with remaining olive oil! Season with sea salt!
- Once the veggies and tempeh are cooked through, slap 'em into a bowl and voila! You're ready to eat!